A healthy community free of substance abuse.
To reduce youth alcohol and substance abuse issues in our community through strategies that will reduce access to substances, prevent high-risk behaviors, connect community resources, and provide education opportunities.
The main goal of the Kalamazoo County Substance Abuse Task Force (KCSATF) is to decrease and prevent youth substance abuse by addressing the issue through:
- Increasing the belief among youth that substance abuse is harmful and that there are consequences to use.
- Decreasing youth access to these substances through retailer/vendor education, responsible beverage service training, compliance checks, permanent disposal systems for prescription drug take-back, and healthcare worker training.
- Increasing the protective factors that lower the chance of youth substance abuse and decreasing the risk factors that can contribute to youth substance abuse.
- Working toward reviewing local policies/ordinances and developing model policies that would strengthen local enforcement strategies.
The Kalamazoo County Substance Abuse Task Force released the Making Connections: Our Community, Our Initiatives, Our Health Community Report in December 2016. This report is a comprehensive look at youth substance use trends in Kalamazoo County, the effects on the criminal justice system, education, and health, a look at emerging substance use trends, and what community members can do to reduce youth substance use. The KCSATF collected data from various sources, including the Kalamazoo County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, both local hospitals, the Michigan Automated Prescription System, and the Michigan Profile for Healthy Youth Survey, among others. To view the report, go to www.kzootaskforce.com.
We Invite You to Get Involved
The Substance Abuse Prevention (SAP) Team meets from 1:00-2:30pm the third Tuesday of every other month (February, April, June, August, October, December) at Prevention Works. Our Youth Action Team (YAT) meets from 6:00-7:30pm the third Wednesday of every month at Prevention Works. If you are interested in being a part of our Data and Evaluation (D&E) Team, please contact us for dates and times.
Contact Ashley Bergeon, Coordinator, with any questions at (269) 364-2142 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Red Med Boxes
WMU Public Safety
511 Monroe Street, Kalamazoo MI
1500 Lamont Avenue, Kalamazoo MI
Kalamazoo Township Police
1720 Riverview Drive, Kalamazoo MI
7810 Shaver Road, Portage MI
442 North Grand Street, Schoolcraft MI
Fred’s Super Pharmacy
121 West Prairie Street, Vicksburg MI
7966 Lovers Lane, Portage MI
8822 Portage Road, Portage MI
1000 Oakland Drive, Kalamazoo MI
Family Health Center
117 West Paterson, Kalamazoo MI
Gull Point Pharmacy*
5585 Gull Road #120, Kalamazoo MI
Sindecuse Health Center*
1903 W Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo MI
Park Street Pharmacy*
512 North Park Street, Kalamazoo MI
* denotes Yellow Jugs that accept Narcotics
Prevention Works, the fiduciary of the Kalamazoo County Substance Abuse Task Force, provides family and youth prevention programs throughout Kalamazoo County. Please visit their website at www.prevention-works.org.